Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Class 1 Reflection: What have we gotten ourselves into? (Sara L.)





Going into this class I really had no idea what to expect.  I am certainly interested in the idea of STEM but I am completely unfamiliar with actually implementing it.  Class last night was certainly helpful and demonstrated how a lesson could incorporate Science-Technology-Engineering and Math.  Still the idea of creating a lesson or problem for my students to solve using STEM is foreign to me. 

I am very comfortable implementing the math portion of STEM and I am excited to learn about the other pieces of STEM.  I am especially interested in engineering.  I wouldn’t say that I am skilled in this area, however I feel like my students and my own children are interested in engineering.  I am looking forward to exploring the eGFI website.  I think this will help as I work towards creating STEM lessons.  Additionally, I would really like to get involved in working with students on Lego Robotics.  Again, I do not know a great deal about this but I would like to learn more about this program and hopefully participate in this program in the near future. 
In terms of technology I have always considered myself fairly comfortable using technology in the classroom.  I love using the Smart board for math lessons but I don’t always know how to use all the tools available.  I enjoying using typing programs in the classroom.  Also, I have created a class website and have made some videos for my parents to use to help them learn how math is being taught in the classroom.  Gaming is a different story entirely.  I have heard of Minecraft and seen my children play it a few times.  Honestly, if I see them playing I walk away and do something else.  I have always struggled with the idea of video games being valuable.  Certainly there are many good arguments as to why they are valuable, but personally I do not enjoy them.  I find video games incredibly difficult and not satisfying.  I would much rather be outside running, biking, hiking or just playing rather than playing a video game.  Still, I think I would like to learn how to play video games.  Certainly games such as Minecraft are a tool that will allow us, as educators, to connect with our students. 
I will most likely be attending the class next week so I can learn how to navigate the program more easily.  I am attaching a photo of myself learning how to play Minecraft because I think it will better depict how I was feeling last night.  (No laughing please).  After class my family sat down and watched my husband play.  He claimed he wanted to “show” me a few things.  This turned into him playing for hours.   My children kept watching him play.  I did not stay and watch but between my husband and my two older children, I think I will have a few good teachers. I am excited to learn more about Minecraft and other games, and learn how I can implement them in the classroom.


Trying to figure out how to jump

3 comments:

  1. Glad your husband and kids enjoyed the course! In addition to www.egfi.org take a look at teachengineering.org

    I'm working on adding pages to the blog with additional STEM resources, look for a new page soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just a correction on the web address I gave you above, it's http://www.egfi-k12.org/

    ReplyDelete