Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Timeline for 2nd grade Monster Lobe

My timeline is very sketchy at this point.  I guess I have to my advantage and disadvantage that I will not be working on it at the school with students and taking out class time.

So, here is my basic timeline.  The dates are the weeks of that date.

Start this week and talk about the problem.  Why is it a problem?  What issues might this have for the people using the highway?  The pipeline?  What about the rest of us living in AK?

March 14th - Brainstorm ideas and solutions

March 17-20 - Finalize the solution.  What do the boys want to do to solve this problem?

March 27 - talk about materials that are needed for the solution and how much? (if building a wall - how high would it need to be?  How long?  How thick?)  Look up info on building dams.

After that - let them work on building that in Minecraft.  Helping them along the way.

The week of April 21st - work on presentation.  They will present their project to their class at school as well.  Their teacher thinks this will be wonderful.

The math lessons that will come along the way will depend on what they come up with as a solution.

As for class, I love distance, rate, time, velocity, acceleration problems.  I love physics, and that is what this is.  I had a lot of fun playing with the gizmos. 

I am excited to be able to mine each other's ore deposits, however, North told me he's not sure he put enough diamond in his when he saw the image of Chip's Lapis Lazuli deposit.    The game idea seems fun.  It makes me want to create a few ore deposits in a server and have the boys  - and even my older girls - see if they can make money mining.  We like to watch Gold Rush as a family and watch how hard they work for the little amount that they may make.  It would be a good thing to talk about.

I also really enjoyed talking with the others about their projects.  There are some great projects out there, and I look forward to seeing the presentations.  I think the idea of discussion boards to help each other out is a really great idea.  That way we can pose each other questions and help each other instead of just e-mailing you - the teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment