Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Straw and Marble Structure

So my pitiful little straw structure got the job done but given time, changes would be made!
The design that first came to mind was a trapezoid base with system of slots that would hold the marbles. After building it, I realized that an additional straw at the front of the base would provide more stability. I also would try to make the surface more of a lattice type structure that would hold more marbles. 

I did not understand the implications of the grading formula. I was more concerned with finishing something within the 30 minute time period. I still would not build a tower but I would have tried to add more marbles since they represent the exponential factor in my score.

My structure from base to marble was 6 inches. I had 19 unused straws and my structure held 7 marbles giving me a score of 47045881 (If I pressed the correct button on the calculator).


1 comment:

  1. Planning a structure that can be completed within the given time frame is an important aspect to approaching any problem like this! I've had students plan elaborate and beautiful tower structures but couldn't build it within the timeframe. I'm glad you were able to gather the materials before class.

    Your calculation is off, which is likely due to an issue with order of operations:

    Score = (19)*(6-5)^7 perform calculations within parenthesis first
    = (19)*(1)^7 calculate exponents next, 1^7 = 1
    = (19)*(1) perform multiplication
    = 19
    Many times calculation issues like this arise as we enter longer calculations into calculators from left to right as the formula is written, rather than breaking them up and entering them in the order of the operations as we want them to occur.

    ReplyDelete