Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Triangular Prism Tower


My structure was made by sliding the end of one straw into the next connecting a total of four straws to complete a rectangle shape. I then created two additional rectangles of the same size and fashion before securing all three together with tape to form a large triangular prism shaped tower.  To carry the load, the top platform was created by cutting and taping straws to fit under the top railing which would neatly hold all the marbles securely in place.  My tower continued to hold the marbles until my cat decided to play with the straws in the middle of the night.

Although this design was stable enough to hold all seven marbles that were provided for this activity, it would need major adjustments for heavier and bulkier weight.  I would add diagonal supports to prevent it from swaying and make the base wider then the top (no longer a triangular prism).  For greater holding strength I would lay the platform above the top rail instead of under it and add a boarder around the perimeter to prevent the marbles from rolling off the platform.  

This was a fun activity and I look forward to trying it in the classroom.

Specs:
Tower Height = 10.5”
Number of whole unused straws = 14
Marbles Held = 7

14 x (10.5 - 5)^7 = 2,131,409 points  


1 comment:

  1. Your design met the intended load specifications perfectly, while minimizing materials, and is quite neat and symmetrical! I think you are right, cross bracing would improve the stability.

    ReplyDelete