Monday, February 3, 2014

Tower of Straws



Tower O'Flex

Based on my quick assessment of the SCORE formula, I wanted to construct a tower using the least number of straws that was greater than 5 inches that would support 7 marbles. When I started out, I decided to attempt this build using NO tape. That changed as the minutes quickly flew by and I realized I would have to give in to the power of adhesive…at least minimally, in order to stabilize the structure as I was running out of time to “engineer” the stabilization. So, With a little stickiness and a lot of pathetic lookingness…I secured my tower, loaded it with marbles, and concluded my feeble attempt.






All in all, I had 20 straws remaining.




SCORE = (# unused straws) x (tower height - 5)(# marbles held)

SCORE = (20)*(7.5-5)7
SCORE = 20*(2.5)7
SCORE = 20*610.35
SCORE = 12,207

Not too bad for a leaning Tower O’Flex! Now, if only it would support 20 marbles. Alas, while the tower held for a good long while, the inevitable did occur. Yes, my not-so-masterful design eventually began to lean and then list, and finally tip entirely over (I believe it was about the time someone walked by). I may have missed the final second as my eyes were distracted tracking the merrily bouncing marbles.

I believe this failure was largely caused by incomplete design and construction based on time constraints using inferior materials. One might even jump to the conclusion that this was destined to fall from the moment of conception? If I were to undertake this challenge again in the future, I would include more time to complete the design. I would load test and check balance, and I would add some supports to help stabilize the structure.

I feel like this was actually a great class. I loved “doing” instead of just listening. And the balance of building a structure and then getting into Minecraft, albeit briefly, made a truly enjoyable learning session and leaves me feeling motivated. Quite an accomplishment for a Monday evening!

2 comments:

  1. This is by far so much more elegant looking than my tower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your "purist" approach trying not to use tape, reminds me of building furniture without metal fasteners! I think you are right, cross bracing may fix your leaning issue. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete