Tuesday, January 28, 2014

I used the link Colin provided for the location for the Monster Lobe in Google Maps and plugged in my school's address to  get the total number of miles from the Lobe to my school, Knik Elementary, 6380 Hollywood Ave, Wasilla, AK. Pretty glamorous! The Monster Lobe is going to Hollywood!


It's 610 miles from the Lobe to Knik. If we're converting to metric, might as well start with kilometers


1 mile = 1.609 km so the first conversion is  610 miles  * (1.609 km)/mile    This conversion yields 981.49 kilometers from Knik to the Lobe.  Then we convert kilometers into meters and then centimeters.  If I were being completely academically honest, I would mention the Google converter I'm using that could take me right down to centimeters in a nanosecond, but I think it's important to know that I could set this problem up for students and display that I've mastered the math concept of conversion so that I can pry my Master's degree from the gnarled hands of  the University next
 December.


981.49 km  * 1000 m/km  = 981,490 meters  Now on to centimeters  1m = 100 centimeters so to convert 981,490 km to cm looks like       981,490 m.* 100 cm/m = 9,8149,000 cm =  Ant Road Trip!!!

3 comments:

  1. Chris - yes, the almighty Google will do a lot of thinking for us! Your students will thank you for grinding your way through with them.

    By the way, if you add a title to your post it will stand out a bit better when posting to the blog. Email me if you have questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lori! Nice job on your calculations and your students will better off for your efforts :) Depending on how you are presenting this to your students, and their level, you might consider writing out the entire conversion process as a series of multiplications as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love conversions! Teaching math like this is one of the things I really miss this year being back in a library. I did all this stuff with my kiddoes! Teaching math has been a strength and if not a strength then at least a passion! I love this class and you have NO idea how deeply I appreciate the way it's organized and so very well thought out! This is one of the best classes in the program and I hope you guys keep doing it. Sorry about the blogging thing. I'm blogging in three different places right now and this one is the newest to me. I'll get. Am I supposed to turn everything in here to the blog or to our UAS site or both? Still a little confused on that!

    ReplyDelete