Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Monster Lobe Distance to Ketchikan

Here is my work - although, I am not completely sure I trust my coordinates for Ketchikan.  I'll post this and update it when I can check again.  But I got 395, 255,000 cm and 2455 miles.  Looking at others, I think my coordinates are off.



So, apparently my work was off - and my phone GPS coordinates had me stuck somewhere in California, so I looked them all up again, and here is the real distance to my school UAS Ketchikan.


  I knew something was off.  That's what I get for trusting my GPS without checking or thinking logically.

(Initially I had this posted before 5:00.)

6 comments:

  1. So - Just had time to check again - my gps app on my phone somehow had me stuck in Santa Clara, CA. (I should have known)

    I'll do it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, that's one of the reasons that teaching estimation is so important: providing a level of confidence in the answer. When I looked at the first answer at 2.5k miles I thought, wow that's almost the entire distance across the continental US!

      Delete
  2. I knew it was too far, but time wise, I had to post it. Then when I had a minute to rethink, I went back and fixed it. I knew AK was big, but not that big. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job catching your error!
    On your presentation of the problem, I might suggest not using the "implies" arrow, which is really easy to confuse with an equal sign. Instead, use an equal sign (or the next line) and write the equivalent expression with each piece multiplied as you go.
    I'll post an example of what I mean...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I use it properly all the time, and when I used it here, I knew it was misused, but didn't want to go to the next line.

      Delete
  4. Heather, I can only post my own picture on a separate comment, but take a look at the other posts for examples. Lexie's "Week #2 Reflection" is a good one.

    ReplyDelete