Tuesday, January 28, 2014

January 28th Reflection



Sara L. (Distance from Monster Lobe to Aurora Elementary School, Anchorage, AK). 

Location of Monster Lobe: Latitude 67°49’ N
                                                  Longitude 149°49’ W

Location of Aurora Elementary School: Latitude 61° 14’ 11.25” N
                                                                        Longitude 149° 51’ 50.45” W



Distance in miles (calculated using Google Earth Ruler-Path Function) 455.83 miles
                                        
Distance in centimeters can be calculated using conversions:

455.83 miles/1 x 5,280ft/1 mile x 12 in./1 ft x 2.54 cm/1 in. = 73,358,727.52 centimeters

(Google Earth calculated centimeters to be: 73,359,283.12)

I am not certain if we are supposed to reflect on the class as well.  Either way I thought class was helpful last night.  Thank you for spending some time pointing out different math, engineering, science, and technology connections for the Round Island Discussion we began a few weeks ago.  I don’t feel that I always contribute much to the discussions because quite honestly I feel like I need to just do this more in order to understand better how to include each component of STEM in my lessons.  I appreciate that you are giving us some room to improve as we go along.  Thank you for guiding us through this process.  I feel a lot like Debbie does; she mentioned just not always knowing what to do.  I think as we progress through this class that feeling of “not-knowing” will become less prevalent. 
 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job with your conversions, Sara!
    With regard to the class, yes, we are very happy to have you putting out the effort to learn about what you don't know - it's challenging! The STEM connections you gain during class will help you make similar connections in your own classes (and likely in your life :)

    ReplyDelete