Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Reflection for 2/10

I have had a hard time racking my brain to find two STEM project ideas.  One I thought of was to have them create their own ideal city.  It would be interesting to see what they would put in it and if they would put it by the water or not or have it hilly or flat.  They really only know by the water on a hill, so it would be interesting.

Another idea would maybe to build the bridge to nowhere here in Ketchikan.  That's not necessarily my own original idea, because it is something that has been discussed, but it would be interesting.

One thing that has been on my mind today, would be to see if they could build something for the Olympics - like luge or bobsled tracks or a ski slope or snowboarding half pike.  Of even an ice-skating rink.

I feel like in all of these I might be missing the science part except if you got into the physics of some of the Olympic venues.

As far as STEM topics I'm interested in, I feel mostly like I lack the thought process of the science behind it.  In my mind, I often go back to Physics, because that is what I studied, but that is a little over the heads of most elementary students.  Plus, STEM is still very new to me. - I can fit the math in, but the others...  Although my dad told me all the time, I have an engineering mind.

I really had fun working with unit conversions.  I also enjoyed the opportunity to explain it to someone else.  I like that about our classes - being able to work together and help each other learn.  Learning in the collective.  (or at least in small groups)

I am a little nervous about digging into the teacher aspect of MinecraftEdu and building worlds.  Mostly because I think I'd have way too much fun and spend way too much time doing it.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Taking a current event and bringing it into the classroom is a great idea. Science is definitely a part of the Olympics idea. Check out the link on the sidebar of this blog to the "STEM in the Olympics"... great videos and lesson plans. I haven't watched it, but one is called "the science of snow".

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I think of physics in the olympics I'm thinking of a bobsled run, my favorite event from when I was a kid. I just brought up this roller coaster simulator that I think is a pretty neat (and quick) way of showing potential energy vs. kinetic energy vs. dissipated energy (friction): http://www.brainpop.com/games/coastercreator/

    ReplyDelete