Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Heather D Math Standards and Reflection

I feel that my project will cover many math standards for second grade.  But here are some, that I know it will focus on.

Numbers and Operation in Base Ten
Use place value understanding and properties of operations to add and subtract.
     2.NBT.5 Fluently add and subtract using number up to 100.  (I imagine we will go past 100)
     2.NBT.6 Ad up to four two-digit numbers using strategies based on place value and properties of operations.
     2.NBT.7  Add and subtract using numbers up to 1000.

Measurement and Data
Measure and estimate lengths in standard units.
     2.MD.4  Measure to compare lengths of two objects, expressing the difference in terms of a standard length unit.

Relate addition and subtraction to length.
     2.MD.5  Solve addition and subtraction word problems using numbers up to 100 involving length that are given in the same units.

Work with time and money.
     2.MD.8  Solve word problems involving dollar bills and coins using the $ and ¢ symbols.

Geometry
Reason with shapes and their attributes.
     2.G.2 Partition a rectangle into rows and columns of same-size squares and count to find the total number of them.


Class Reflection

     This was the first time I had ever drawn a cross section of a topo map.  I really enjoyed it.  THe biggest issue with it was making are that the horizontal and vertical scale were the same - or at least similar.  The reason to make sure this happens is because it warps the look of the terrain if the scales are not the same.  I did want to use my graph from class for my assignment, but have decided that t is not very polished, so I need to make it look much better.  I will have to figure how to do that.

     My children and I had fun in the world after class.  I am not sure we found all of your ore, but it was hard because Abby found some lapis and then mined them quickly, but for some reason, i could not actually see her.  She was invisible to me much of the time.  If we do it again, I would probably try it again using the schematic.

     I have also been thinking that this week would be a great week to do an extra credit lesson.  Hmmm which one that is in my brain shall I do.  I have been thinking about doing place value with numbers using different blocks for 100s, 10s, and 1s, or maybe area with rectangles (I actually just realized that this was a standard for 2nd grade - although it doesn't say area.)  Maybe even something using number patterns.    We shall see.  Or maybe even a Sudoku.

1 comment:

  1. That all looks great, Heather :) Looking forward to your project!

    ReplyDelete