Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Reflection of Class 3/10 and Math standards addressed in project

The math standards addressed in our class project of finding ways to reuse the discarded food from school lunches will include many that are not at the first grade level.  The  first grade standards are:
Operations and Algebraic Thinking:
1.1:  Represent and solve problems involving addition and subtraction.
1.7: Work with addition and subtraction equations. 
Number and Operations in Base Ten: 
2:  Understand that the two digits of a two-digit number represent amounts of tens and ones.  
4:  Use Place Value understanding and properties of operations to add and subtract. 
     Add within 100 (probably up to 1000 or 10000, not first grade level) including adding a two-digit number and a one-digit number and adding a two-digit number and a multiple of 10 using concrete models or drawings and strategies based on place value.
Measurement and Data: 
Measure lengths to the nearest inch. 
Mathematical Practices:
1.  Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
2.  Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
3.  Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
4.  Model with mathematics.
5.  Use appropriate tools strategically.
6.  Attend to precision.
7   Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.   

Reflection from class:
I have not made a cross section before, or don't remember having done so.  The YouTube was helpful.  This activity had me wishing I had the map in my hands.  I am so old school in some ways, I like to hold things, manipulate them.  My cross section turned out to be correct so I look forward to redoing it and making it look nice for the due date.  I would love to find an online link that could take my data and make a great looking visual.  I guess I will need to spend some time looking on line.  I am thankful that Chip gave us lots of time to do this as I would have been frustrated to have less time and not finish.  This was a great example of how I probably need to give my students more time when learning something new.  It is a fine line of enough time to finish versus enough time to lose focus and be off task, at least in first grade! 

1 comment:

  1. Nice job on the standards, Debbie - I hope your first graders surprise us with how well they do with standards above their grade level :) I agree with you on the fine line of timing - it's always great when you have the time to let students sit with an idea and really internalize it.

    ReplyDelete