Tuesday, March 11, 2014


This week's class was fun.  I learned quite a bit.  Mapping was fun, but I was very frustrated with the vertical line in the cross section mapping.  I got the A-B line, but figuring out the vertical line accurately stumped me (even after class).  Luckily, I have Chip as my math instructor in the 608 class and he was able to clarify for me.  I am not confused anymore and look forward to completing the assignment.  Now, I need to figure out how to best represent the monster lobe, highway and pipeline.  I was bummed that I missed the TNT fun after class, I had a meeting I needed to attend.  My son keeps asking me when he can get online and create his maze for all of you.  I wasn't sure where you wanted him to create it.  I may just have him place it somewhere around our homes.  It's so funny that my son is so excited about my college course.

Below I just re-posting my project timeline, with the standards in bold.  

Project Timeline:
·         Introduce the project – creating a vessel on Minecraft.  Give all of the guidelines and scoring grid.

·         Do research on large water vessels on the internet, and through books.   Discover what you need to include in creating a vessel that is functional and practical. 
Measurement and Data 4.MD.1. Know relative sizes of measurement units within one system of units including km, m, cm; kg, g; lb, oz.; l, ml; hr, min, sec.  Within a single system of measurement, express measurements in a larger unit in terms of a smaller unit.

·         Create blue prints to show what will be on the vessel, and keep in mind that each block is 1 meter^3. 
Geometry 4.G.1. Draw points, lines, line segments, rays, angles (right, acute, obtuse), and perpendicular, parallel, and intersecting line segments.  Identify these in two-dimensional (plane) figures.

·         Calculate the amount of materials needed to complete the vessel.  Types of blocks, amenities, etc…
Number and Operations in Base Ten 4.NBT.4. Fluently add and subtract multi-digit whole numbers using any algorithm.  Verify the reasonableness of the results.

·         Create the vessel on Minecraft.
Understand decimal notation for fractions, and compare decimal fractions. 4.nf.7. Compare two decimals to hundredths by reasoning about their size.  Recognize that comparisons are valid only when the two decimals refer to the same whole.  Record the results of comparisons with the symbols >, =, or <, and justify the conclusions (e.g., by using a visual model).

Extensions:
·         Create a model representation of the vessel so we can see both inside and outside. 
Measurement and Data 4.MD.1. Apply the area and perimeter formulas for rectangles in real-world and mathematical problems.

·         Create an actual vessel that can be placed in water and propel itself forward, using the same guidelines as the Minecraft blue prints to test if it will float.
Geometry 4.G.2. Classify figures based on the presence or absence of parallel or perpendicular lines, or the presence or absence of angles of a specified size.  

 

1 comment:

  1. That looks great, Sunshine. Do you have a timeline for how long each topic will take?
    I'm glad Chip was able to clarify the vertical scale for you in the cross-section activity :)

    ReplyDelete