Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Math Standards and Reflection

Measurement and Data:
3rd grade:
3.MD.2: Estimate and measure liquid volumes and masses of objects using standard units of grams (g), kilograms (kg), and liters (l).  Add, subtract, multiply, or divide to solve and create one-step word problems involving masses or volumes that are given in the same units.

3.MD.3-Select and appropriate unit of English, metric, or non-standard measurement to estimate time,  length, weight, or temperature.


4th grade:
4.MD.2 Use the four operations to solve word problems involving distances, intervals of time, liquid volumes, masses of objects, and money, including problems involving simple fractions or decimals, and problems that require expressing measurements given in a larger unit in terms of a smaller unit.  Represent measurement quantities using diagrams such as number line diagrams that feature a measurement.

4.MD.1-Know relative sizes of measurement units within one system of units including km, m, cm; kg, g; lb, oz.; l, ml; hr, min, sec.  Within a single system of measurement, express measurements in a larger unit in terms of a small unit.  Record measurement equivalents in a two-column table.


This class was a great refresher in topographic maps.  Once I watched the video I was reminded what it was we were exactly doing it has been several years since I have worked with them.  Like many I had a bit of struggle figuring out how to do the scale correctly.  I wasn't fully understanding how the vertical scale was created.   I'm still not sure I could explain how to get it or what my students would need to do.  I think this will be a fun activity for my students and spring break gives me time to explain to my students what a topographic map is.  The one thing  I struggle with this class and the lesson we have to teach is how to make the relevant students' lives, managing to teach them while not veering completely away from the curriculum we have. Since my students back knowledge to many things is limited there has to pre-teaching involved for them to even do the activity.  Again I look forward to teaching the lesson and glad I have an extended period of time to teach my students about topographic maps.  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Sara. Can you remind me of your timeline for this project?
    I would agree, topographical cross-section is a challenging lesson to include without sufficient time to explain the maps. If your students can relate to it, though, there are certainly some other topics you could teach to make the most of the time you do invest in it. I hope your lesson goes well this week :)

    ReplyDelete