Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Reflection on class 3/31:

Wow!  This was so much fun.  Sorry Colin, I chopped down a piece of the checkered flag.  I am so clueless with Minecraft!  I have to say that I am often feeling way out of my league in this class because I just finish teaching first grade all day and I have to turn on parts of my brain that have been left to their own devices!  It takes a bit of work.  But, I love math, I love to teach it, to learn it, and to practice it.  I love how it makes me put together all the things that I have learned and to sometimes approach the problem from a different angle. 

I appreciate all the effort the instructors put forth each week, their enthusiasm, and their support too.  The other members of class are also super patient and helpful without taking over, how great is that! 

My project with my students.  Well, they loved hearing from a local farmer in the Mat-Su Valley who wrote us an e-mail letting us know that we could raise three pigs on all the food that our school throws away.  He also gave us some resources for determining how to build a structure that is humane and would offer the best use of space for pigs.  Did you know pigs are social animals and they love the company of other pigs?  But, pigs need a lot more space than you may imagine.  The students then made a model of the structure out of unifix cubes.  They decided one cube equals one foot in each direction (they don't know about cubic feet).  So, they came up with different ways to equal the 900 square feet of space needed.  It was great! 

We still have to make the structures out of cardboard, paper, or some other materials.  I wish we could use Minecraft. 
Enjoy your week everybody.  We are doing our S.B.A.'s this week so it is quiet, quiet, quiet and no pull outs. Poor kids! 
Debbie

2 comments:

  1. Debbie, your class project sounds fantastic! How fun for your students, I bet they are really enjoying it and learning so much. In fact, I think I'll share your idea with my first grade son... he really wants to "farm" animals, in real life and in Minecraft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it would be nice to use Minecraft as a planning tool to sketch out a school farm with chickens, greenhouse, and pigs! Really easy for students to create in. Depending on your students, possibly SketchUp would be a good solution?

    ReplyDelete