Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Reflection

Class
The hour or so that we worked on the lobe problem, solving for density, mass and volume, went by pretty fast.  The grid map totally threw me off though mathematically.  I thought I calculated the surface area of the top of the lobe but it must've been off because when I multiplied by the average height, I got a really low number when I compared it with the person who used the numbers from the lobe dimension description.  Needless to say, we used the more logical number that our group member calculated, but I could not figure out my mistake.  Kinda hit a wall and had a hard time moving on.  However, thank you to my group for persevering!  It was fun estimating the percent of each material the lobe was made up of and multiplying to make big numbers :)

Project
We are almost half way through our Mouse Maze STEM project, but students still have a lot of work to do.  One of the problems we have encountered in our room is lack of space.  I have 25 students in spaced out rows (thanks to testing), which leaves very little room to move around and store our project (in fact, I feel like pac-woman weaving between desks lol).  My custodian told me that I have the messiest room in the school, which I'm not sure is a compliment--students are busy learning--or not.  Anyway, we've learned that students should not become to attached to their taped up box pieces because ALAS it gets moved or stepped on and falls apart.  They've got great "now we know what to do next time" attitudes!

Pictures to come soon!  Lap top is dying and charger is at school...

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm... too bad I don't have the calculations to look at or I'd see if I could be helpful. We plan to start next class by going through a solution to the problem. I would take the "messiest" room as a compliment - sounds like your students have a great attitude! I look forward to the pictures!

    ReplyDelete