Thursday, February 27, 2014

2/24 Reflection - Lexie

I enjoyed the lesson on speed, velocity, and acceleration.  I have worked with these topics before, but it always great to do a review and problems dealing with it.  In the past I have struggled with calculating velocity and acceleration, but with the more practice I get the better I get.  What I found to be the hardest part of the night was understanding what our small groups were suppose to answer and how to read the graph.  We were able to find the rate of change for each of the segments, but then I was wondering if we had to find the overall rate.  The difficult part about reading the graph was that the letters representing the segments, which is not what I am used to (thinking in Geometry terms).  I think it would have been easier to understand for us if the points were the letters and we found the rate of change of AB (the segment between those points).  That was the one thing our group had to spend the most time on. 


The minecraft part of the lesson was fun.  I did find it difficult because I knew NOTHING about ore deposits.  Once my team let me know some things that were around gold deposits, we were able to get started.  I am still not sure how do determine where deposits will be.  I did hear some of the examples that geologists look for, but it was not enough for me to understand.  Before I do the required lesson, I am going to have to do some serious research on indicators of ore deposits.

2 comments:

  1. You live in a good city for that sort of thing, since we have two mines right outside of town, and a rich gold mining history!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback, Lexie. Looking back at it, I can see the graphs were confusing that way. Glad you liked the review anyway.

    ReplyDelete