Monday, April 7, 2014

Reflection 10

My classmates and I did pretty well during the "room" assignments.  I think I can remember momentum = mass x velocity, as long as I don't mix up my m's :)

The units are always a little confusing to me (but not as frustrating as trying to write on the board in the room).  I wish I knew how to write the numerators and denominators correctly like the one shown as an example during class.  That would probably make it easier to cancel out than using the / symbol for fractions...

I think Debbie was on a roll as far as Monster Lobe solution ideas.  I think too often man tries to control nature, while nature is just doing what it needs to do... be nature!  Rather than trying to solve the issue, I think we should consider working around it.  At some point, the road can be diverted around the lobe and it will no longer be a concern (until it migrates into the next man-made object).  Otherwise, it's like taking medicine.  The side effects can be worse than the initial problem.

My second choice would be to break the thing so it has less mass and momentum.  That would require some planning however, as to what to do with the pieces left and how it will affect the landscape.  Breaking it may also cause some other problems, such as rock slides, etc.  Would have to consider all sides before deciding on a solution.

1 comment:

  1. Nicole - momentum is actually denoted by the variable 'p' - so you can use that instead of m to keep them separate. yes, you guys had some great discussion going during the breakout session!

    ReplyDelete