Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Reflection 4/7 - Lexie

Reflection from class

I enjoyed the class, as I usually do.  I did realize last night that I have been struggling with a lot of the material and topics recently that deal with velocity, momentum, etc., and I think it is because I never took a physics class.  I’m not sure if I it is necessary, but I am thinking that I might need to take a physics class sometime in the future.  I do understand more after last night’s session, but not enough to be able to apply it to other areas.  I would love to be able to connect physics topics to my math class, especially because I do teach high school.

Solutions to the Monster Lobe

There were a couple of solutions that I thought about, but I’m not sure how they would work.

  • Building 2 tunnels under the lobe for the highway and pipeline.  I know that they have built huge tunnels in Boston and New York, but I’m not sure about how a tunnel would do in the tundra and permafrost.
  •  Building 2 bridges that rise up 40 feet above the where the Monster Lobe would be.  To keep the structure safe, build those diversion structures (similar to what AEL&P built for avalanches) in front of the supports to the bridge
  • Build a structure similar to an avalanche shed like the picture below.  What might work would be to build the slope of the mountain to meet the shed, so that when the Lobe approaches it, it will slide over the shed and not try to break through it.  If built correctly, the shed could turn into a tunnel for when the Lobe continues to move.

 



1 comment:

  1. Great solution ideas, Lexie. I love that you researched a bit to come up with your ideas - definitely using the engineering design cycle.

    And, physics is a great tool for math applications. I actually teach Physics 102 at UAS - if you are interested in taking this course I would be happy to talk to you about it.

    ReplyDelete