Tuesday, April 15, 2014

And the Winner is ... (Reflection 12)

I think the best solution is to build retaining walls.  Either that or find some unconventional solution like worms or something to eat it.  Yes, I was in the group that did retaining walls, but I also still think it might be the very best solution.  I loved all the other ideas and presentations.  Ronna did a great job all by herself.  I think there are fewer cons to the retaining wall solution than other solutions. 
For instance,  if we leave it alone and move the highway and pipeline, who knows where the Monster Lobe will stop.  Yes, we know it's path right now, but what will happen when it gets down into the valley?  What will happen when it gets to the river?  Will we have to move the pipeline and road again years down the road?  Building a bridge/tunnel/etc all have the same issue,  will we have to do it again later on when the Monster Lobe keeps moving down the valley once it reaches the valley?

I do kind of like the cutting it up idea, and maybe that is the right idea?   But what to do with all the material?

If we could have done something different in my group, I would have liked to have more time to be able to do a bit more research on retaining walls and cost.  Other than that, I think we did a good job.

Side note,  I am so excited about how much my Second Graders are learning about the Monster Lobe and math, and other things associated with my project.  I am wondering if I can have them build a model of the Monster Lobe for their science fair, and then show their solution.  I guess we will see.  Maybe we will be able to come up with something else, like What type of structure is the best to stop a moving object? 

1 comment:

  1. That would be awesome if you do end up making a model of the Monster Lobe :) Do second graders also have a science fair?

    ReplyDelete