Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Piece of cake, piece of pi...

What do you get when you mix a bunch of math nerds with cake to the momentum of 31.25 fsMorgans? Solutions (yes, pun intended) that'll make you burst into song! Oh my, what a fun class.

I loved working with my team. Talk about smart people! Our solution groups felt a bit like James Bond...here is your mission...ok, solve this world crisis in 60 minutes or self-destruct with this message. Ready?...GO! But then, that's part of what makes it fun.

Our group worked from a nature-conservation standpoint. I mean, at the end of the day, who even knows if the lobe is going to make it to the highway, right? So, we developed a solution that would be based on building an alternate roadway that would detour 3-5 miles allowing transportation to continue uninhibited with minimal impact on nature. Based on the figures we were able to locate, we grossly over estimated. A 500 mile road to Nome is estimated at 500 million. We budgeted 1 billion for a 5 mile relocation of road and pipeline, ensuring that the revenue loss and everything else would be covered in the potential costs. Our presentation was started with a lovely song and led quickly to the point of protecting nature with a practical, minimal impact solution.

As with all the other groups, I think we just wanted more time. It would have been nice to better develop a more practical solution for the pipeline as well. We were totally absorbed in locating supporting details to support our solution and the time just, POOF, disappeared! It was fun to have such a colorful slide with all the details on it. I believe this is still my favorite solution. It's like a glacier...we should accommodate it, not destroy it!

If I had to vote for a solution, I'd stick with the one I worked. I don't believe that moving or blowing up or chopping the lobe into pieces will solve anything. There's already an FDL2 and who knows how many more. I think we need to come up with a viable solution that could potentially be applied to future lobes as well. Now, although I think opening a presentation in song tops the charts (another punny! haha), I have to give a shout out to Ronna. Talk about flare! I loved the used barge; icing on the cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment