Tuesday, April 15, 2014

April 14th Reflection

I really enjoyed class last night. I realized that what I learned about myself in Chip's problem-solving class many, many semesters ago remains true....I love the logic and conversation behind problem-solving but I still do not have enough sophisticated mathematical knowledge to become an engineer.

I like the retaining wall idea. I think it is the most cost and time effective solution. However, I was in the "build a bridge" group and I still think that idea is worth further exploration as well. I don't know how much time we have before the Lobe reaches the road. 250ft. is not a lot of distance but 1cm/day does buy some time. That being said, I am not sure the road can be saved by a bridge but the pipeline could be. I don't support any plan that involves altering the pipeline. It has been in place for 30+ years and if it is disturbed the cost to the environment may be irreversible. It must be stopped somehow. That is irrefutable.

As far as our group presentation, it would have been nice to have had some sort of graphic like the first group did. However, we spent quite a bit of time defining and refining our solution and we did quite a bit of research, leaving little time to put together anything more formal. Lexie did an outstanding job building our model in Minecraft!

1 comment:

  1. How long would it take for the lobe to reach the highway at 1cm/day?

    ReplyDelete